Appeal for witnesses following Leith assault

police (2)Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward after a man was assaulted in Leith earlier this month. They are particularly keen to speak to anyone who came to the aid of the man during the vicious attack – which took place in board daylight.

The 29-year-old victim was subjected to an unprovoked attack while walking south on the bridge crossing the Water of Leith at the north end of Great Junction Street.

He was punched and kicked by three teenagers during the incident, which took place at around 3pm on Tuesday 17 June.

It’s understood that members of the public intervened to stop the assault and Police Scotland are very keen to trace those people.

Police Constable Iona McWilliam said: “This was a terrifying and unprovoked attack on a man and enquiries are underway to identify the three men responsible.

“It took place in the middle of the afternoon and we would urge anyone who witnessed the event or who may know something that would help our investigation to come forward immediately.”

The first suspect is described as white, aged between 16 and18, of slim build, and wearing a grey hooded top and grey jogging bottoms.

The second man is also described as white, aged between 16 and 18, of slim build, wearing a grey hooded top and grey tracksuit bottoms, and he was carrying a black drawstring sports bag at the time.

The third suspect is described as white, aged between 16 and 18, and of slim build, and he was wearing a black top with a white Adidas logo on side.

Anyone with information on this incident can contact Police Scotland on 101 or, alternatively, the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Join Sainsbury’s Big Jump!

sby

I’m writing to let you know about a fantastic sporting event taking place at Sainsbury’s Blackhall on Thursday 3 July to promote the Sainsbury’s Glasgow Grand Prix, which takes place at Hampden Park on 12 and 13 June.

The event will see some of the world’s greatest athletes take part in the two-day competition, including double Olympic champion Mo Farah, Olympic long jump champion Greg Rutherford and one of the fastest men of all time, Yohan Blake. The Grand Prix is part of Sainsbury’s Summer Series, which is made up of five fantastic athlete and para-athlete events taking place across the country.

In the run-up to the Glasgow Grand Prix, we’re holding a sporting competition called ‘The Big Jump’, in four Sainsbury’s stores across Glasgow and Edinburgh. The events will see a full-size long jump track set up in our Sainsburys Blackhall car park on 3 July between 10am and 4pm. Throughout the day, we’ll be encouraging customers to take part. 

Every participant will be entered into a free prize draw to win a family ticket to the Grand Prix and have the chance of taking part in a special ‘Sainsbury’s Long Jump’ event at Hampden Park on 11th July.

The event is free and it’s the first time we’ve ever held a sporting activity like this across our Scottish stores. It’s a great opportunity for children and their families to come along and be part of ‘The Big Jump’.

If you require any more details about the event, please call me on 0131 332 0704 or e-mail prl.blackhall@sainsburys.co.uk. We will also be advertising this event in-store.

Many thanks for getting involved in ‘The Big Jump’!

Gail Wilson

Sainsbury’s Blackhall

MS Therapy Centre seeks volunteers for Golden Mile

The MS Therapy Centre is looking for volunteers this Sunday (22 June) to take part in the Golden Mile Walks.

As part of the Centre’s 30th anniversary, it is looking for each volunteer to raise £30 which will make a difference to all those in the Lothians living with multiple sclerosis.

Nancy Campbell, Operations Manager at the Centre, said: “With a choice of walking one, two or three miles we hope Edinburgh people who may be at a loose end on Sunday and fancy a walk will take part in the Golden Mile Walks and raise much needed funds for us.

“Nearly 2,500 people in the Lothians live with the debilitating condition of MS and our Centre provides a life line for many. We are there for practical and emotional support and only exist because of the generosity of others.”

The Golden Mile Walks take place at 11:30 am at the Edinburgh College Sports Grounds (formerly Civil Service Club), Marine Drive, Silverknowes.

For more information go www.challengescotland.com

Keir blasts development plan decision

Edinburgh Western MSP Colin Keir has reacted furiously to yesterday’s decision by councillors to approve a new local development plan, and said the fight to save green belt land at Cammo and Maybury will go on.

A meeting of the city council’s Planning Committee approved the latest Proposed Local Development Plan yesterday but the local MSP feels the legitimate fears of local people have been ignored.

Mr Kerr said: “I am deeply disappointed with the outcome of the meeting today. There were a huge number of objections made on good planning grounds to the release of Greenbelt land at Maybury and Cammo from local residents. These objections have been ignored and the sites remain in the plan.

“There were alternatives to the course of action taken by the Capital Coalition councillors today but quite simply they did not have the gumption or backbone to make the right decision for the communities of Western Edinburgh.

“Constituents of mine who made valid objections will be left feeling angry and ignored. Both Maybury and Cammo have been subject to planning applications recently precisely because those sites are included in the proposed plan. Those applications will not go away because of the action today – developers wishing to develop the Greenbelt will merely be encouraged.

“I have campaigned against development on these sites for ten years. I am not giving up the fight and will continue to object to development of these sites.”

Mr Keir is a supporter of The Campaign Against the Development of Cammo & Maybury (CADCAM), which was formed to campaign against the removal of greenfield sites at Cammo and Maybury from green belt designation in order to develop the sites for up to a combined total of 2100 houses.

The proposal to release this land for housing forms part of the proposed Local Development Plan, and the group argues that their communities will be adversely affected by further development.

CADCAM argue that junctions at Maybury, East Craigs and Barnton are already struggling at peak times and that proposed new developments will multiply that problem.

An added concern is poor air quality which affects both St John’s Road and Queensferry Road (both have been singled out recently as among the worst polluted roads in the country) – which is only likely to get worse with increased traffic – and they also believe that the community infrastructure – schools, GP and dental surgeries, etc. – will be put under unbearable pressure.

Double fault: Stockbridge tennis tournament cancelled

Champions of Tennis tournament organisers go into liquidation

legends return

A showcase tennis tournament featuring former champions including superstars John McEnroe and Tim Henman has been cancelled and the organisers have gone into liquidation. The Brodies Champions of Tennis tournamentwas due to start tomorrow but the decision to scrap the event was only made yesterday.

The event has a history of controversy – last year’s Champions of Tennis event left fans furious when play was limited to a few games after an inadequate roof saw courts flooded out.

Yesterday – just two days before the event was scheduled to start – organisers Serve and Volley said the tournament had been cancelled because the new roof design could not be built in time.

Spectators who have bought tickets will be able to find information on refunds from today.

A statement on Serve and Volley’s website said: “We are disappointed to advise that we have had to take the difficult decision to cancel this week’s Champions of Tennis tournament, which was due to take place between Thursday 19 – Sunday 22 June in Edinburgh.

“Following on from last year’s event we revised the design of the roof covering the court to provide better weather protection. This resulted in a unique and complex design, which required specialists to manage and oversee the build.

“Due to unforeseen circumstances the specialist team have been unable to facilitate the build and despite extensively investigating all alternative options we have not been able to secure a solution.

“We fully appreciate the disappointment this will cause customers, sponsors and suppliers; this decision has not been taken lightly. The unavoidable cancellation resulting from the problems experienced with the roof has resulted in the organisers, Serve & Volley Ltd, entering into voluntary liquidation.

“Administrators are to be appointed over the coming days and will be in contact with all suppliers in due course. Information regarding match session ticket refunds will be available on our website from Wednesday 18 June. We would like to thank everyone that has been involved in the event to date as we fully recognise the huge amount of goodwill and support that we have received.”

Event sponsors Brodies say they will refund every ticket holder who is unable to get their money back from organisers Serve & Volley.

In a statement, the company said: “At an early morning meeting today with the organisers of Champions of Tennis, Serve & Volley Limited, we learned that the enlarged roof over the Champions of Tennis court cannot be erected effectively.

“This outcome was contrary to all assurances given to us by the organisers. The organisers advised us at the meeting that they were looking at options to reorganise the event as an open-air tournament, but we understand that this proved impractical in the time available.

“As sponsors, we are hugely disappointed that this has caused the cancellation of the tournament by Serve & Volley at this stage. We share the frustration of the many tennis fans who bought tickets expecting to see a premier sporting event.

“However, based on current weather forecasts, there is a measure of risk of a repeat of the upset caused to some spectators by disruption of some of the sessions due to rain at last year’s event, when there was a roof in place. We believe that pressing ahead with the championship under these circumstances would not be fair to ticket holders, who bought tickets expecting the additional protection this year of an extended court roof. It is also the case that Serve & Volley has run out of time to reorganise and properly re-advertise the event as an open air tournament to ticket holders.

“Our paramount concern is for these ticket holders. Although the tickets were sold by Serve & Volley, as a gesture of goodwill, Brodies will refund the cost of tickets to individual ticket holders who are unable to recover the cost of their tickets from Serve & Volley or from their credit or debit card providers. Further details will be published on our website, www.brodies.com, on Wednesday.

“Brodies will refund the cost of tickets to all individual ticket holders who try but are unable to get their money back. We are not doing this on behalf of Serve & Volley Ltd.

“We have supported Champions of Tennis for the last two years because we believed hosting such a prestigious ATP event in Edinburgh would benefit the economy, the local community, and help cement Scotland’s reputation as a leading sporting destination. We are genuinely sorry that tennis fans have been left disappointed.”

Job opportunities in North Edinburgh

Job Opportunities
North Edinburgh’s housebuilding and regeneration programme will offer new job, apprenticeship and work placement opportunities when it gets under way this summer – and you can register your interest at drop-in sessions at the North Local Office in West Pilton.

The drop-ins start this morning and will run every Wednesday from 10am – 12 noon. Why not call in to find out more?

Botanic Gardens open late for midsummer celebration

The Botanics will open late this Saturday to celebrate midsummer with a series of free attractions and activities – and you can take part in a world record attempt too!

RBGE midsummer

 

 

RBGE says:

Enjoy the Garden in the evening and help us celebrate trees at midsummer. Join an attempt to break the world record for tree hugging at 20:00 and help us calculate the environmental benefit of our tree collection by doing some tree measuring. We’ll also have live music and performances throughout the evening, plus The Scottish Poetry Library will be joining us offering opportunities to write, share and perform poems.

6.00pm Corroboree stilt performance (30mins)

6.45pm Aerial performance with Vision Mechanics (5 mins)

7.00pm Harp performance (30 mins)

7.45pm Aerial performance with Vision Mechanics (5 mins)

8.00pm Tree Hug World Record Attempt (1 min)

8.15pm Midsummer Poetry with the Scottish Poetry Library (45 mins)

9.15pm Corroboree stilt performance (30 mins)

PLUS:

– Free entry to Glasshouses from 6pm – 9.30pm (last entry 9pm)

– Corin Sworn exhibition at Inverleith House (open until 9.30pm)

– Food & refreshments available at the Terrace Cafe and East Gate Lodge

Don’t miss it!

RBGE_midsummer

Happy birthday CAB!

Local MP praises work of Citizen Advice service

logo

Mark Lazarowicz MP has pledged his support for Citizen’s Advice’s new campaign at a reception held to celebrate the charity’s 75th birthday. The Advice for the Future campaign aims to highlight the importance of free, impartial advice and get 100,000 people pledging their support.

Citizens Advice has launched the campaign as rising household bills, changes to the welfare system and a troubled jobs market mean that for many life is getting increasingly complicated. This means it’s even more important that people can access free, relevant and impartial advice to help make complex decisions.

Citizens Advice Scotland, the Scottish counterpart to Citizens Advice, opened its first bureau in September 1939 and so will also be celebrating its 75th anniversary later this year.

The North and Leith MP said: “I know from my work as a constituency MP just how valuable the service provided by Citizens Advice is to constituents: free, independent, impartial and trusted.

“The major changes to the benefit system introduced by this Government, sharply rising energy bills and the difficulty that many households have in just keeping their heads above water have left many more people turning to Citizens Advice for help.

“It has also used its first hand experience in dealing with the practical problems people face to contribute positively to debate on public policy which is why I and other Opposition MPs fought so hard against the restrictions that the Lobbying Act would have placed on charities.

“Largely run by volunteers though publicly funded, it supports the vulnerable and indeed anyone who needs advice: our society would struggle to cope without it.”

Citizens Advice celebrates its 75th anniversary this year:

• In 2013/14 the charity helped 2 million people to solve 5.5 million problems
• In 2012/13, 22,000 volunteers donated nearly 7 million hours to the service
• This amounts to a contribution of £109 million worth of volunteering hours.