Warning for vehicle owners following thefts in Lothian and Borders area

POLICE are asking owners of vehicles to be aware following a number of thefts across Lothian and Borders. 

A blue VW Golf R, registration PO15 XVW, was stolen from Onslow Street, Craigshill having been parked and secured on the driveway, at 11pm on Friday, 28 February, 2025. Other items were taken from the property after entry was gained.

About 1.30am on Saturday, 1 March, a white Golf R, registration CE65 RZF, was taken from East Lodge, Uphall. The vehicle was subsequently recovered on the M9 motorway after the occupants have made off in a separate grey Audi S3.

A short time later, around 1.50am, two people entered a business premises in Goschen Place, Broxburn, stealing keys for vehicles however no vehicles were stolen at this time.

Around 3.30am the same day, people wearing balaclavas were seen at the side of a property in Redmill Court, Whitburn. Entry was not gained to the property and they left the area in a white VW Golf R, believed to be the one taken from Uphall.

Around 1.30am on Monday, 3 March, we received a report of the attempted theft of a VW Golf and a Range Rover from Kings Well Crescent in Broxburn.

Later, around 2.50am, a grey Audi was stolen from West Holmes Place in Uphall. This was later traced.

Around 3.10am a BMW and a Jaguar were stolen from a driveway in Forkneuk Road, Uphall. Both vehicles were traced nearby a short time later.

Inspector John Fleming said: “We have officers investigating these crimes as a matter of priority in an effort to disrupt this criminal activity. We are treating these incidents as linked and would appeal for anyone with information to contact us.

“We’d strongly urge the public to ensure security measures are in place to try to protect vehicles.

“If you have a garage, please use it to secure your vehicle out of sight. Ensure your vehicle is locked and all valuables removed when not in use. Trackers and tracking devices are also a form of additional security and can assist recovering stolen cars quickly.

“If you witness any suspicious activity, I would ask you contact Police Scotland on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Young Brits warned of dangers of modern slavery abroad

Young people travelling to popular holiday destinations to work in bars and clubs have been given advice on the dangers of labour exploitation

Thousands of young people travelling to popular holiday destinations including Ibiza, Majorca and Menorca to work in bars and clubs have been given advice on the dangers of labour exploitation.

Border Force officers have been running Operation Karetu at 22 airports across the UK, targeting young people travelling to work in Mediterranean destinations who could be at risk of exploitation, criminality and illegal working.

The month long operation has so far seen officers engage with over 1,000 young Brits, providing them with leaflets and guidance on how to avoid the risks involved as unofficial public relations (PR) reps – work that involves touting people into clubs and bars.

Young holidaymakers who travel abroad every year to work in the hospitality industry risk being forced to work long hours for low wages. Risks include working illegally due to a lack of knowledge about EU employment regulations or being exploited by serious organised criminal gangs. 

Operation Karetu was initially launched in 2018 amid concerns over the welfare of young British nationals being exposed to different types of exploitation particularly labour and sexual exploitation. The Operation has had significant success and since 2022 there have been zero cases of labour exploitation reported to the British Consular in the Balearics.

However, many cases of Labour exploitation go undetected, and Border Force continue to run Operation Karetu every year as an important preventative operation to protect young people.

Home Office Minister, Seema Malhotra said: “Travelling abroad for a summer in the sun is an exciting prospect for thousands of young people across the country, but it’s important they’re able to do that safely.

“Operation Karetu is just one example of Border Force’s work to protect the British public, ensuring young people are kept safe from unscrupulous employers.”

This year’s operation was specifically targeting the Balearic Islands, which includes popular tourist destinations such as Ibiza, Majorca, and Menorca.

The operation began on 17 June and is running until 19 July this year, and is carried out in partnership with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, the modern slavery charity, Unseen, and British embassies abroad.

Border Force carries out Operation Karetu annually as part of its Prevent and Protect strategies, to end involvement in exploitation and strengthen safeguards by protecting individuals, organisations and systems.    

Key advice from Border Force officers to people considering working abroad are:  

  1. Working while a tourist in the EU is illegal. If you are not an EU national or legally resident in the EU, you need a job offer, work permit and visa. More information is available on Travelling to the EU and Schengen area – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
  2. Check you have a visa and a contract before starting your job.  
  3. Ask about accommodation and find out the rent/costs. Do this before accepting accommodation as part of a job offer.  
  4. Keep hold of your passport at all times. If it is taken, report it to police. You can contact the local British Consulate for help and advice. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. 

The Border Force operation is supported by modern slavery charity Unseen, who operate the Modern Slavery Helpline. Anyone feeling vulnerable about their work or finances can contact the Modern Slavery Helpline, in confidence, on 08000 121 700. 

The operation is just one part of the work Border Force carries out to address modern slavery and trafficking. All front-line Border Force officers are trained to identify signs of modern slavery and make the necessary referrals.