Celebrities urge government to rethink devastating cuts to disabled people’s social security 

  • High-profile names including Sir Stephen Fry, Stanley Tucci, Aisling Bea, Levi Roots, Guy Garvey, Dame Arlene Phillips, Charlotte Ritchie and Jed Mercurio have spoken out against the UK government’s proposals to slash financial support for disabled people. 
  • Comedian Rosie Jones: “Disabled people are scared of what the future holds”. 
  • Actor Brian Cox: “So many people having to turn to food banks is a stain on this country”. 
  • The comments come as new polling by Trussell reveals that 7 in 10 people think social security should at least pay for disabled people’s essential living costs. 
  • The anti-poverty charity has branded the cuts as ‘cruel, irresponsible and out of touch’ with what the public want 

Celebrities including Rosie Jones, Sir Stephen Fry and Stanley Tucci have united to express their outrage at the social security cuts announced on Wednesday, saying that they risk pushing even more disabled people to food banks. 

The UK government, who were elected on manifesto pledges to end the need for emergency food parcels and to make sure Universal Credit tackles poverty, has published proposals that will make it harder for disabled people to get the payments that help them cover additional costs that they face such as purchasing specialist equipment or travel to healthcare services. 

Comedian Rosie Jones, who has cerebral palsy, spoke out about the potential impact of these cuts, saying: “Disabled people are scared of what the future holds if there’s cuts to disability payments, as they are already not enough to cover life’s essentials. Disabled people are far more likely to need to use a food bank and further cuts will only deepen the hardship they are facing.”  

Polling done this week by Trussell, an anti-poverty charity which supports a community of 1,400 food banks, indicated that 60% of Brits think the UK government is ‘doing badly’ on reducing the number of people experiencing poverty across the UK. 

Actor Brian Cox, who experienced poverty as a child, urged the Government to rethink the plans when he said: “The fact that so many people are having to turn to food banks is a stain on this country.

“This government vowed to tackle the need for emergency food parcels in the UK, yet this decision risks even more people having to seek support. It makes no sense and will have a lasting impact on the lives of so many people already finding it difficult to afford life’s essentials.” 

Trussell has already expressed concern that the cuts will have a significant impact on people who are already facing hunger and hardship with 75% of people referred to one of their food banks living in a household where someone is disabled.  

Recent research by Trussell indicated that three quarters (77%) of people getting Universal Credit and health or disability payments are already having to go without essentials. Four in 10 (43%) are already missing meals to try and keep up with other essential costs. A fifth (19%) have had to turn to a food bank in just the last month. 

Calling for a reversal of the proposals, Sir Stephen Fry said: “Cuts should be for people who can best afford them, not for disabled people, who are amongst the most vulnerable and overlooked of all our population.

“The social security system should be rooted in justice and compassion, fairness and need. It’s not too late to rethink this.” 

The celebrities are not alone in thinking that government support should be enough to ensure that no one needs a food bank to survive. Trussell’s data shows that 83% of Brits think the Government is responsible for ensuring disabled people’s essential needs are met. 

Two of Trussell’s Ambassadors reflected this, adding their voices to the call for change by saying: 

  • Television writer Jed Mercurio: “While our social security system requires regular review and reform to ensure it targets people most in need, these cuts will only increase the likelihood of people living with a disability needing to use a food bank.” 
  • Entrepreneur Levi Roots: “From my work with Trussell, I know disabled people in receipt of Universal Credit are already having to make impossible decisions between feeding their children and heating their homes. We need compassionate solutions that make food banks obsolete. Cuts to disability payments will simply keep food banks in business for longer.” 

Actor Stanley Tucci has encouraged people to speak out about the risk of the cuts, saying: “It breaks my heart to know so many people in a country as wealthy and developed as UK are experiencing hunger.

“Through my work with Trussell, I know that the reality of these cuts will be parents in disabled families having to skip meals so that they can feed their children. Things don’t have to be this way. We must shout as loud as we can to let the UK government know this plan is wrong.” 

If you want to share your thoughts on the proposed cuts, you can email your MP via the Trussell website at https://action.trussell.org.uk/disability-cuts.  

TUC: Child poverty in working households has increased by over 1,300 a week since 2010

Analysis shows number of kids growing up in poverty in working households increased by 44% (+900,000) between 2010 and 2023

  • Union body says a “toxic combination” of pay stagnation, rising insecure work and cuts to social security have had a “devastating impact on family budgets” 
  • TUC calls for urgent economic reset and for a government that “makes work pay” 

Child poverty in working households has increased by over 1,300 a week, on average, since 2010 – according to new TUC analysis published yesterday. 

The analysis shows that the number of kids living in poverty with at least one parent in work increased by 900,000 (44%) between 2010 and 2023 – the equivalent to 1,350 a week. 

The TUC says in 2023 there were 3 million kids in working households living below the breadline in the UK. 

Children growing up in poverty in working households now account for: 

  • 69% of all children in poverty 
  • 24% of all children in working households  

“Toxic combination” 

The TUC says that a “toxic combination” of wage stagnation, rising insecure work and cuts to social security have had a “devastating impact” on family budgets. 

Real wages are still worth less today than in 2008 and the union body estimates that had they grown at their pre-crisis trend since the Tories took power the average worker would be over £14,000 a year better off. 

And separate analysis from the TUC shows that the number of people in insecure work, low-paid work has increased by nearly 1 million during the Conservatives’ time in office to a record 4.1 million. 

Economic reset 

The TUC says Britain urgently needs an economic reset. 

It highlighted the importance of Labour’s New Deal for Working People and Green Prosperity Plan in creating good jobs and helping make work pay. 

And it called on political parties to make reducing child poverty a national priority. 

TUC General Secretary Paul Nowak said: “No child in Britain should be growing up below the breadline. 

“But under the Conservatives we have seen a huge in rise in working families being pushed into poverty. 

“A toxic combination of pay stagnation, rising insecure work and cuts to social security have had a devastating impact on family budgets. 

“We urgently need an economic reset and a government that will make work pay. Reducing child poverty must be a priority in the years ahead.”