Can we have a Christmas tree? Yes we CAN!
Community celebrates despite deluge
It lashed down with rain all afternoon and into the evening – a real Muirhouse monsoon! – but local people came out in their droves to see the Christmas tree lights being switched on in Muirhouse Shopping Centre last night.
Craigroyston High School’s Josh Hardwick did the honours and kicked off an evening of music, food and fun that seemed to get everyone in the festive mood!
So many people to thank:
- Craigroyston Community High School for sharing their wonderful musical talents – the band and the choir were superb.
- Local schools Oaklands, Rowanfield, Pirniehall, St David’s, Forthview and Craigroyston for creating the beautiful snowflakes that now adorn the centre
- Fleurtations for delivering, erecting and decoration the tree
- Urban Union for supplying the Christmas tree
- The City of Edinburgh Council for their support and advice throughout
- Weber Shandwick for getting things done
- North Edinburgh Arts staff for their wonderful support: particularly John for his technical wizardry, Michelle and her team for the fabulous food (and wonderful winter punch!) and for sharing her artistic skills to make the shopping centre look great
- Local police for supervising the event
- The Tomorrow’s People team for all their hard work in decorating the Centre and making the event such a success.
- Santa for … well, just being Santa!
- And finally, the children and families of North Edinburgh who came out on such a horrible night to support the event. Comments have been overwhelmingly positive – maybe we’ll try another event in the New Year?
Andy & Dave, Community Action North (CAN)
Our day in pictures (below)
There are more on Facebook too …